Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Family Traditions




Hey there! I hope that you had a wonderful holiday weekend! I had the opportunity of photographing four sisters and two of their children this weekend. The story to the session is very sweet and filled with precious memories of the location. These sisters are Native American (Creek and Choctaw) and grew up as part of 17 children! They went to this small, one room church in Semmes, AL their entire lives. When the church grew and needed a new building, the plan was to level the old one. This family and many others couldn't bear that thought because of how important this place of worship was to their lives. They raised the money needed to have it moved and preserved! How awesome is that! It is now used for various events including weddings. I am very thankful to this precious family. What a privilege to be trusted with so much history and to be a part of it! I heard story after story about this family and their way of life while photographing them. I think it is amazing how family traditions are kept alive by story telling. I like to think that one day my girls will be telling their grandchildren stories of their childhood and that they will have the same smiles on their faces as these sisters. When this family spoke of their parents and their daily lives, their eyes lit up...that is something that I pray for in the lives of my girls. Thank you again to this family for opening your lives to me. Thanks to those of you who faithfully look at our work and encourage us in the job that we are doing. We appreciate you! Don't hesitate to call the next time you need portraits, we'd be honored. Be Blessed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mrs. Mothershead, You did and said some really nice stuff about our family. I am thankful that you came into our lives. I will let everyone know about the great work you did on our church photos. Thank you again. Your friend for life. Violet Graham